logo

logo

Saturday, January 2, 2021

New wrestling mats to honor Greg Strobel

Beaver Wrestling Supporters,


I wanted to give more information on the fundraising of the new mats for the practice room which will honor Greg Strobel.  This is a $100,000 initiative and thanks to the generosity of 3 families, we’re already up to $35K.  Donations are being collected by The OSU Foundation and are tax deductible.  Please check out the link below which has a rendering of the mats featuring Strobel holding his 1973 Outstanding Wrestler trophy.  This reminder of Strobel will continue to inspire greatness in the wrestling room and in life. 

 

www.ourbeavernation.com/strobel

 

Greg Strobel is one of the reasons that I grew up to be a college wrestling fan.  My earliest memory of him was when he was a brand new coach at Lehigh (a place I'd never heard of) and brought his team to Corvallis for the Oregon Classic and a dual meet, in which the Beavs blanked the Mountain Hawks, 44-0.  Afterwards, Dale Thomas told him, “Strobes, you need a new team.”  Fast forward a few years and I never would have guessed that I’d end up in Bethlehem, PA attending Lehigh, where the only person I knew was Strobel.  I think the two of us were the only Beaver-Mountain Hawk wrestling hybrids.  He left this world way too early, but I’m grateful for the fun times shared and memories I'll smile about til I'm old and gray.   

 

Earlier we heard teammates Larry Bielenberg, Tommy Phillips and Ron Sather share about Strobel on the Joe Beaver Radio Show.  Below is a link to a podcast by Lehigh with an interview by Chris Ayers and Pat Santoro.  They do mention the 1996 Oregon State trip a couple of times and the razzing on Strobel had me laughing.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!


Wishing all a safe and joyous New Year!


Go Beavs!

Jana Iwasaki




Pat Santoro & Chris Ayres '99 remember Greg Strobel

 

Lehigh wrestling head coach Pat Santoro and current Princeton wrestling head coach Chris Ayres '99 joined the show to tell incredible stories of the late, great former Lehigh wrestling coach and administrator Greg Strobel, who passed away on Oct. 8 at the age of 68. The two go in depth on the life and coaching career of Strobel, who had such a large impact on many people.

 

Click HERE to listen to the podcast, or find Mountain Hawk Talk where ever you listen to your podcasts (available on Apple Podcasts and Spotify).




No comments:

Post a Comment